VMware vRealize Network Insight 3.0.0 (Arkin) is now generally available. vRNI delivers intelligent operations for software-defined networking and security, with converged visibility across virtual and physical networks, planning and recommendations for micro-segmentation and operations management for NSX.vRealize Network Insight provides converged operations plane between virtual and physical network.
Benefits of vRNI
–Increase speed and accuracy of micro-segmentation deployment
–Rapidly operationalize NSX environments with out of the box best practice
–Modern, simple, Google-like search
–Easy access to NSX activities and security events
–Integrates with all major 3rd party network vendors with out of the box discovery of virtual & physical topology
–Quickly onboard existing teams to operate NSX easily
Some of the Features-
East-West Traffic Analysis (Deep insight within your VMware Infrastructure)
- East-West Traffic Flow Analysis
- Breakdown of Data Center Traffic by East-West, VM-to-VM, VM-to-Physical, Switched, Routed, etc.
- Get Detailed Flow stats behind each number
Micro-Segmentation – Security Policy Automation
- Discover vCenter and NSX constructs (folders, clusters, vlans, security tags)
- Automated Security Groupings Based on vCenter and NSX Constructs, Workload Characteristics, Ports, Common Services
- Recommended Security Policies / Firewall Rules (Zero-Trust Model)
- See Network Traffic Per Host, Per VM
- Export as CSV
If you see above figure , “Prod-Web” vm’s having connectivity with “Prod-Midtier” , as well as Internet ,shared Physical servers and DC Physical Servers.
Have you ever seen like this , so much of visibility in your virtual infrastructure.
Data Paths Across Overlay (vxlan) And Underlay (Physical/vLAN)
- VM to VM, VM to Physical, VM to Internet
- Hop-by-Hop Path across Overlay (LDRs, Edge Gateways) and Underlay (Physical VDCs & VRFs)
Two appliances have to be deployed:
- vRealize Network Insight Platform
- vRealize Network Insight Proxy
- vRealize Network Insight Platform OVA:
- 750 GB – HDD, Thin provisioned
- 32 GB RAM – Reservation – 16GB
- 8 cores – Reservation 4096 Mhz
- vRealize Network Insight Proxy OVA:
- 4 cores – Reservation 2048 Mhz
- 10 GB RAM – Reservation – 5GB
- 150 GB – HDD, Thin provisioned
- VMware vCenter Server (version 5.5 and 6.0).
- To configure and use IPFIX
- vCenter Server Credentials with privileges:
- Distributed Switch: Modify
- dvPort group: Modify
- VMware ESXi:
- 5.5 Update 2 (Build 2068190) and above
- 6.0 Update 1b (Build 3380124) and above
- Recommended that VMware Tools is installed on all the Virtual Machines in the data center. This helps in identifying the VM to VM traffic.
- Google Chrome browser